Monday, November 9, 2009

Risk management

I came across an article recently about how people misuse GPS technology. Because they were overconfident and relied on technology as a safety net to bail them out and in doing so got into trouble. Being that I just wrote a post about using GPS trackers for motorcycle touring I thought I should pass it along and make a couple of comments.

I remember when I first started the California MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) course one piece of good advice that I came away with that is still ingrained with me today is "risk management". Let me explain what I view as "risk management" (a variation of the MSF's version).

Philosophically speaking "safety" is an illusion. The reason why I say that is because the odds would be just about even that I would likely slip in my own bath tub, cut my finger while preparing dinner, or crash my motorcycle (if you don't factor in the roles of other motorists or luck). To be completely safe I would have to remain in my house and not do anything which is rather not practical. In our universe, our society we would have to go about our daily business and that takes risks.

While the odds may be more likely that I would cut my finger than getting into a motorcycle accident, most people would say that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous. What we sense as danger in motorcycling is actually the catastrophic results, the after effects of accidents. I believe safety is linked more with risk management.

Whenever I get suited up and ride I understand that there are risks involved. Because I know the consequence of a crash is never desirable I always start a ride with risks in mind. I try not to drive when I'm sleepy or tired, or upset, or angry, or intoxicated, etc., and I wear armor to minimize the results, that's part of my risk management.

Most of the public, however, fail to remember this. So when those people decided to hike into a wilderness area they failed to consider the risks that they're taking (their own safety), choosing only to rely on their GPS to rescue them if they got into trouble. Furthermore, most city folks also forget about their self reliance, their self sufficiency and resourcefulness before hitting that panic button.

The way I see it, it won't be long before somebody, a lawmaker most likely, will pass a law to regulate, tax or penalize the use of GPS and there goes more of our freedom.

You can read the entire article here:
Responders fear misuse of Yuppie 911 GPS beacons

No comments:

Post a Comment