Thursday, March 11, 2010

Uncomfortable motorcycle moments

This morning's commute to my studio was a cold one. Now that there's break in the rain the weather turned sunny but cold. It's been a rainy winter here in Southern California. As for me I've been alternating between my old Toyota sedan and my BMW F650GS motorcycle between wet and dry commuting days.

While waiting at a light to turn left I caught a glimpse of another motorcycle getting into the same turn lane in my right rear view mirror. As usual I finished the turn in the outer most lane, the slow lane, on my way over to my studio; and there I caught another another glimpse of the rider this time in my left mirror as he passed me. I gave him my peace greeting before he overtook me on the left and saw him smiled and waved in acknowledgement in return. I recognize the older fellow and have seen him on a few occasion going in the opposite direction. A Harley Davidson, pretty nice but a bit on the noisy side.

A thought entered in my mind.

"Man, I wonder how long I would last riding something thumping so loudly on my long tours." How fatiguing would it be? I'm no motorcycle expert and from the looks of it, his Harley looks like a 1200 or maybe a 1500cc. "...and imagine that! I'm only on 650cc and I'm already complaining about noise and vibrations!"

About half a mile ahead, traffic was stopped at a light. I pulled into the left lane as I passed a truck and came up in the same lane as the Harley, I was on his right.

"Nice day for a ride!"

He place his right hand to the right side of his helmet, where his ear would be, indicating to me that he couldn't hear me. I edged up, this time screaming.

"NICE DAY FOR A RIDE!"

He just smiled. I don't think he heard me but "oh, well." Usually I would leave it at that. But this time the red at this light was a little longer than anticipated, and it led to an uncomfortable, pregnant pause as I sat there next to this other motorcycle. So I started talking again.

"NICE BIKE! WHAT HARLEY MODEL IS IT?"

He was struggling to hear what I screaming about. Finally he answered.

"(Garble).... (Garble).... 1995 FSR (?)...."

I just couldn't hear him. No matter, I followed up with another question.

"IS THAT A 1500cc ?"

He leaned his helmet towards me, where his right ear would be, as if straining to hear, then... He pointed to my motorcyle this time I could hear him say, "HOW DOES THAT RIDE ?"

"GREAT GAS MILEAGE!" I answered.

But by this time we were both saved as the light turned green. He sped away as I followed behind. Then it occurred to me how loud his Harley was. Had his bike been a few decibels lower we could have had a better conversation.

As the traffic once again slowed in the left lane, I switched back to the right side. I sped past him, gave him a salute and went straight while he took the freeway on ramp. I guess to each his own.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. I can tell you are a great writer! Keep it up.
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. AOL is a American company developed in America and if you are getting any problems related with AOL you can contact AOL Tech Support Number

    1-844-305-6566. 24\7 available for customer service

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend has praised your blog and I want to read your blog. There is a lot of good information on your blog, I loved reading it and I think people will get a lot of help from this (AOL Support Phone Number)blog. Sam, I have written this kind of blog, I think you will get a lot of help from this too. I hope you like my blog, Users will get a lot of information from this blog. I hope you like my blog. I hope you got a lot of help from this blog.

    ReplyDelete