Thursday, October 15, 2009

Arizona, there and back again

I've been back from my motorcycle tour to Arizona for several days now but still find it hard to put things into words to write this post. It was definitely a difficult journey, one that ran into difficulty from the start. I feel like Bilbo Baggins, grateful for the experience of a difficult adventure but not sure if I would want to go through a journey like this again.

I'm weary enough that I don't want to get into all the details except to mention our bad luck, that my brother got ticketed not even a half hour into the ride while trying to chase down his friend when the guy strayed off, or my motorcycle's front fork leaked oil because of a broken seal. We fought the traffic, the semis, the weather, the desert wind, the fatigue. Sad thing was even when we arrived at our campsite we found it full and couldn't camp. So we tried checking into the nearest motel and found not just that one but all the motels were booked (believe it or not)! So we slept on the sidewalk at a rest area... then there were the personality conflicts. The usual stuff? I don't know. It reminds me more of Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring, their difficulty trying to reach their destination.

It felt like all we did were ride our motorcycles. It didn't feel enjoyable but more like survival... I don't think I've ever experienced anything like this before.

After the trip my brother confess to me that this may be the last long trip he would schedule for a while (he's been scheduling and riding long motorcycle tours such as this for the past 5 years). He wanted to take a break from it all and spend time with his wife and 3 children.

I can't help but get philosophical after a journey such as this last one either. Things sometimes happen for a reason. Maybe a break is what the road is telling us. We're burning out. We'll see what happens.

In the meantime, I'll just repair my motorcycle and stick to the commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment