Saturday, October 3, 2009

BatteryMINDer Plus, motorcycle battery charger/maintainer

BatteryMinder Plus motorcycle battery charger

This is the last weekend before the Arizona motorcycle trip so I'm busying myself with motorcycle maintenance. I've been riding my BMW F650GS so it was a fairly quick routine check. My BMW F650ST on the other hand has been on a battery tender for the past 3 months.

Fortunately, not too long ago I got a very good battery charger. This charger, however, is very different than the one I owned before. This one not only charges but maintain and conditions the battery while my F650ST was in storage. It is manufactured by VDC Electronics Inc. and is called the BatteryMINDer Plus.

BatteryMinder Plus motorcycle battery charger

The charger package comes with 2 additional cables for you to adapt to most types of batteries and is very easy to use. Just plug it in and it charges your battery until full then switches over to a "maintenance" mode and removes sulfate by dissolving it from your battery automatically. Sulfate build up is a major cause of early battery failure and the BatteryMINDer Plus gets rid of the stuff by using a wide range of high frequency pulses. This in turn extends the life of your battery.

In comparison with my previous battery charger, the BatteryMINDer Plus not only removes sulfate but does not overcharge and prevents boil-out (water loss) so I didn't have to hassle with the constant checking and refilling my battery with water while my motorcycle was in storage. I even tried using it to recover a weak battery and it worked pretty good.

This charger makes my servicing the F650ST a little quicker since I didn't have to open up another panel on the motorcycle to get to the battery to check the water level.

No comments:

Post a Comment