Friday, September 18, 2009

BMW F650GS motorcycle windscreen spoiler

BMW F650GS motorcycle windscreen accessory
About a month ago (August 2009) I took my BMW F650GS motorcycle off road in the Mammoth Lakes area in California. The deep pumice on one of the trails did a number on me and my F650GS motorcycle, after taking about 4 spills on separate occasions my motorcycle suffered a broken mirror mount and I lost my spoiler/deflector that was attached to my windscreen.

With a new trip looming, I replaced the broken mirror mount and a few days ago order a new windscreen spoiler from Laminar. My last spoiler was from this same company, but over a period of several years since then it looks like the design had evolved somewhat.

This particular design (both the old and current) uses adhesive backed Velcro for attachment. the Velcro is already attached to the spoiler, just peel off the backing, line up and stick it to the windscreen. If you're worried about the wind spoiler coming off, you have nothing to fear. The Velcro that is used is industrial strength stuff and I can testify doing 90 mph without any problems.

Before attaching be sure to note where the attachment points are going to go. You could essentially attach the spoiler lower or higher as you wish, I like to have mine roughly 1 1/2 to 2 inches as measured from the spoiler's (air bypass) opening to the back edge of the windscreen.

After removing the old Velcro and cleaning up the windscreen I simply line up, remove the adhesive backing and attach the "Lip" to my F650GS' windscreen.


BMW F650GS motorcycle accessory


BMW F650GS motorcycle accessory

BMW F650GS motorcycle accessory

What I noticed with this new Laminar Lip is that it still has the same width across but the lower portion of the new design has been cropped a bit... not a bad idea since I had always found it annoying to have to reach into such as tight spot to try to clean the space between it and the windscreen from behind (without having to remove the spoiler that is). In addition, the cropped spoiler looks like it allows more airflow to the rider.

BMW F650GS motorcycle accessory

I was meticulous and took my time with the work so it took around 20 to 30 minutes to complete. Truth is it's actually pretty easy and anyone can do it fairly quickly.

Can't wait to try it out to see if it functions better.

BMW F650GS motorcycle Laminar Lip

No comments:

Post a Comment