Sunday, September 6, 2009

F650ST windscreen

...Or the lack there of.

The stock BMW F650ST motorcycle does not have a windshield. What it has is a front instrument cluster cover that serves as wind spoiler, so to speak. What I found was that at higher highway speeds the rider is exposed directly to the airstream and for me that caused a lot of fatigue from noise and buffeting because I wear a helmet that has a visor.

Fortunately, AeroFlow offers their F650 AeroScreen. I'm 5 feet 5 inches and their standard height windshield (16 1/2 inch high) is perfect for me. The windscreen came with instruction, screws and washers. Installation was relatively easy. I just removed the 4 screws from the instrument cover and line up the holes to that of the windscreen. Since the holes are located on the lower portion of the windscreen, when the first screws go on, the AeroScreen tended to tilt backward making things a bit difficult. But a bit of tape to hold it down did the trick. I also found the longer screws that were provided by AeroFlow better than the original screws in this case since the thickness of the windscreen necessitate their use.

Riding with the AeroFlow f650 AeroScreen is very good at high speeds. Wind is deflected right over my helmet while the contours on the windscreen's sides deflect the airstream around my hands when they're on the handle bar. I found myself being not as cold riding in the winter time, while in the summer there was enough air diverted between the windscreen and instrument cover to keep me cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment