Monday, September 28, 2009

Riding and the motorcycle wave

There's an interesting article over at The Lonely Rider that I would like to comment here. It's about how we, as motorcycle riders, acknowledge one another by the friendly gesture of waving, or showing the "V" sign of peace as our motorcycles cross one another on the road.

I admit when I first started riding it was a curious thing. After all, when you walk past a stranger on the sidewalk sometimes you don't even acknowledge them and they're only a few feet away. But when I'm on my F650GS motorcycle the world is a bit different... a different plane perhaps. Sometimes friendly, sometimes not. One thing that I started noticing: that the farther I'm away from civilization, the big city, like the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the more motorcycle riders tend to wave or acknowledge one another.

So... Are motorcycle riders in big cities such as LA too occupied with fighting traffic, or are they too much into the "brand loyalty" or image that they don't acknowledge as our motorcycles cross paths. Curious.

At any rate... "V"... Peace! And safe ride!

The Lonely Rider motorcycle article

No comments:

Post a Comment