Friday, September 25, 2009

Motorcycle riding and camping

As of today it's officially 2 weeks until our motorcycle tour of Arizona. The plan is to cover 309 miles on the first day, 244 miles on the 2nd day, 306 miles the 3rd, and 143 miles the 4th day and home. We'll be camping at the end of each day's ride. The campsites are first come, first serve except for the last one which we had to reserve.

Originally I had planned to travel light (to push the gas mileage on my BMW F650GS motorcycle - a topic I will cover another time) but my girlfriend will be taking my F650ST and joining the pack so it changes things a little bit.

I'll probably be outfiting my F650GS motorcycle with my Touratech side paniers and leave my Givi trunk at home. This should give me the room to carry a larger tent, sleeping bags, etc., across the back.

Since we're not doing any off-roading I probably won't overdo it with tools. Plus I'll be with a larger group so we could all share some of that responsibility in case of mechanical problems. I'll likely pack my tire levers, spare inner tube and patch kit just in case of flats, along with water and oil to replenish our F650 motorcycles' reservoirs. These should all fit in one Touratech panier.

My other Touratech panier I'll use for clothing. The weather in California is currently warm right now but we're traveling in October and higher elevation in Arizona so I'm planning some warm gear. I'll pack both mine and my girlfriend's things in this panier that way her F650ST motorcycle will be lighter, easier to manage for her (she's 5 ft in stature and 100 lbs). One thing I will suggest her carrying is my extra 2-gallon gas can. The F650ST motorcycle is carbureted and the extra gas will help it get more miles, just in case.

In this same Touratech motorcycle panier I'll also pack some camping dried foods and MRE's (military meals ready to eat) and water so we'll have something to eat when we camp. That's about rounding out my preliminay packing list.

1 comment: