Saturday, September 5, 2009

Preparation

The first long touring ride on my motorcycle didn't happen until six months after I got my motorcycle license. Even then, in the intervening months before that motorcycle trip I did a lot of local city street riding and had lots of frequent hops on the freeway, trying to get fully acquainted with my F650ST mount. At Edwards Air Force Base where I used to work, they called this "currency." Only in staying current with a vehicle and mentally thought out procedures could you minimize mishaps.

I developed my own set of procedures. 10 years observing what worked for jet planes I figure should also work for my motorcycle and me. So I tried to put in as much "cockpit" time as I could, learning all of my BMW motorcycle's quirks. When I rode I picked out "escape routes" mentally, in case cars cut me off, be it by shoving me out of my lane or boxed me in... I even memorized where the fuel switch is located and which way to turn it if I need to switch to reserve, etc. Too anal with safety and procedures? Not for me, because I wanted to make this a lifetime endeavor.

During one of those months, while parking the motorcycle and at slow speed, I dropped it! Yeah, if you think you'll never drop your motorcycle? You will. It's an inevitable thing for two-wheelers.

A couple of things are in my favor though. First, my BMW F650St motorcycle is used. Nothing broken, only scratches, no problem. Sure, it had some marks from previous owners, so what's a few more? Plus, now I could truly call it mine. Second, I had watched a video on how to pick up a BMW F650ST motorcycle not too long before this... so knowing the procedure really helped. Within a few minutes and a leg-press later my BMW was up on its kickstand. The engine was flooded but that was remedied with a wide open throttle start.

There's something to be said about being prepared.

No comments:

Post a Comment